Serves 4 to 6
Cauliflower makes a surprise appearance in this chunky, veggie-packed chili.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 small head cauliflower, stemmed and cut into small florets (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, chopped
Heat a large Dutch oven or pot over high heat. When the pot is very hot, add onion and carrot, and cook, until both begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water to deglaze the pan, scraping brown bits from the bottom of the pan as the water evaporates.
Add cauliflower, bell pepper and garlic and cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add cumin, chili powder, vinegar, tomatoes and beans along with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are fork tender, about 45 minutes.
Serve garnished with chopped cilantro.
- Calories 160
- Sat Fat 0 gm (1%)
- Sodium 55 mg
- Sodium Density .34
- Added Sugars 0
- Fiber 11 gm
- Calorie Density 188 cal/lb
Note: We've provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.